Monday, July 21, 2008

Joint Venture

Jb and I had a talk yesterday. He doesn't think I should stop blogging; he thinks it's a good outlet for me and useful. I tried to express to him, though, that being laid bare and not being allowed into his thoughts about what's been going on is a little more vulnerable than I want to be. His response was that he didn't think he was supposed to respond to what I said here. I told him, on the contrary, I'd really like his response, especially if he posted it here -- to help me see how my perception of myself or incidents synch up with his perception of them. He agreed to try this.

This all stems from the fight we had over the weekend. Sometimes, in fights, I can't give in. I simply can't let it go. My emotions are too ... overwhelming. I become extremely tenacious or confrontational. Because I need it fixed, or else my emotions and mind go a little crazy, turning toward types of thinking that I really shouldn't: about breaking up, about hurting myself, etc. Anyway, when I finally got Jb to open up enough to tell me what, exactly, was wrong, he came back with this statement that I was always negative these days. I was negative about everything. And I felt, somehow, blind-sided. My knee-jerk reaction was to assert that I hadn't been negative all this time. But then, my belief in that became precarious. Had I been negative? Had it been something I couldn't see because I was so busy dealing inward with my own moods?

Having Jb comment on my posts, or on my emotional and mental state of mind, would help a great deal toward my own awareness, but it would also give me something to tell the psychiatrist. I can say I feel depressed, or I felt high as a kite, or I couldn't control my emotions, or half a dozen other things, but it's one thing to say how you feel or see yourself, and it's another to add, "And my boyfriends says I do this or that or the other." Since, we're assuming, this outside view of the situation is far more objective than my own inner view. Because that's what happens, isn't it? When you're inside the maelstrom, you can't see what's going on outside it. All you know is where you are, and all you can do is try to get through the worst of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeh i see why you would want your sig other to comment but its risky, cause the cycle of doubting yourself and what u think might continue to swell... be careful with this.. we already dont trust ourselves, i just wouldnt want you to be in a situation where u feel invalidated because you have the "crazy" label

Inertia said...

I know. I broach this whole thing with a bit of trepidation. I want him to be involved with what's going on because I worry about how hard it must be for him and how it affects him, but criticism might be hard.

Sometimes, though, I need him to reflect back to me what's happening because I think I'm just fine. I think I'm handling things just fine. But I'm not. Again, I think this is where I need the therapist as well.

Thanks for your comments. You make good points, and they're worth thinking about. It's good to hear you get to that point where it doesn't feel so all-consuming. I'll be happy when they get my meds stabilized.