Monday, May 19, 2008

Legal Aid Office

The Legal Aid Office called me back Friday. Since I forgot my appointment and had to make that call, I figured I'd make the Legal Aid Office call as well. I had called about bankruptcy. Apparently, the legal advisor who looks over intake interviews says that I'm eligible for the free class on bankruptcy that they hold for people who are unable to afford real lawyers. But I have to call the Consumer Credit Counseling ... um, place ... to be counseled, so I can receive a certificate to that effect. Just so.

Lucky me, though, since I earn no money, they'll waive the counseling fee! Though what they'll counsel me to do with no money is beyond me. But apparently, the state requires it! Yay for the state!

Note to self: The bankruptcy class is at the end of June, so I must get this done by then. (Where's a whiteboard when you need it?)

Oh! And the Legal Aid Office told me that their lawyers counsel people not to file bankruptcy until you actually have something the creditors could take. If you have nothing, don't file. This makes no sense to me. Either way my credit is shot, methinks. And wouldn't I want to file when they can't take anything from me? Why would I wait until they can? It is a conundrum.

0 comments: