Friday, May 23, 2008

9:59 a.m. Morning

Crawled back into bed around 7 and slept until 9:59 a.m. I don't know if this is a good sign, or if it's merely the fact that the phone rang three different times waking me each time. I assume the latter, but I could be wrong. The credit card companies are beginning to call, circling like dogs, hoping to get blood from a stone.

And that's the problem with being mentally ill for a long period of time. You lose almost everything. This particular bout of depression started in June 2008 and was coupled with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), which made the whole thing twice as difficult. I'd have anxiety attacks on the way to work, I'd throw up outside the metro, I'd have to stop halfway to work to use the bathroom, I even had an "accident" once. Sometimes, I couldn't even leave the house. There's nothing more humbling and incapacitating than being unable to control your bodily functions. Then there was the depression on top of it, or wound up in it, and there were days the depression was so thick it was like struggling through deep water, and I couldn't leave the bed.

Soon enough, I had exhausted my Family Medical Leave, though my doctor supported my need to be out of work intermittently as I dealt with both the IBS and the depression. But work only has so much patience with these matters, and I could see the moment my boss and HR began to treat me as if I was a liar and lazy, instead of incredibly sick. My boss began withholding work from me, and my job satisfaction plummeted. So did my self-esteem. It was cyclic, and only fed the depression. Eventually, she took me down to HR to formally reprimand me for what she called "abuse of sick leave," the terms of which said I was not to miss work or be late for over a month. That effectively severed any ability for me to make follow-up appointments with my PCP or my psychiatrist. I was so overwrought at my loss of control, at how far the illness had taken me, and my inability to live up to my supervisor's expectations that I had my breakdown in the HR office. I went into the hospital that night. It took them nearly nine hours to admit me.

When the psychiatric intake social worker began asking me about how I felt, about whether I had suicidal ideation, if I had a plan, I had to ask Jb to leave the room. I didn't want him to know how far down I'd gone, how very lost I was, how out of control. It was after the Heath Ledger overdose, and overdose was foremost in mind. I remember her asking me, "Why?" And I remember replying, rather bitterly, "It worked for Heath Ledger, didn't it?" She said, chastised, "Yes, yes, it did." And I could tell she took me more seriously then. I admitted to thoughts about cutting, about knives and razors, and fantasies about my sleep apnea machine, my CPAP. I'd lie in bed at night, put my mask on, wait for that first rush of air, and pretend it was a sort of poison gas, an euthanasia of sorts, from which I wouldn't have to wake up ever again.

I was in the hospital for nearly a week, partly because I entered right before a weekend and they don't discharge patients over the weekend, and partly because for the first five days, I didn't even consider going home, much less ask if I could. Instead, I wandered from room to room: the day room, the activities room, my room, the dining room, back and forth, down the halls and back. I didn't speak for the whole first day, and then I couldn't stop crying. I was shaky and in shock. They'd taken me off all my meds, waiting for a diagnosis from the doctor and psychiatrist who made their rounds in the ward. Not everyone knows this, but even patients who go in voluntarily are put in a locked ward. You sign away the responsibility of your life for at least three days. After that, you can make a formal request to be discharged.

The hospitalization was my first, and while humbling beyond anything I'd experienced, it was also freeing -- to be in a place with people who understood, to know I wasn't alone, to know I wasn't even as bad off as some of the patients who'd been in the hospital again and again and again. Being depressed, having suicidal thoughts, it was normal in the ward, and something that us patients often talked about at night before snack and after our meds. Group therapy was a laugh, something I often left to go curl up in my bed, but those late night sessions with the other patients, those helped far more than anything else could have. I'd like to write more about the hospitalization, but I think that'll be another post. There's simply too much to tell.

Anyway, it was three months after the hospitalization that I could even begin to think about a future, and that's when my job forced me into a voluntary resignation. I'd already been on unpaid leave of absence, but without money for all that time, there was nothing to do but let the credit cards go, to batten down and focus on the necessities: food, rent, my meds. And all the while, Jb supported me, even when I lost everything, even when I took him down with me. Now we're on food stamps, the county has me on temporary disability and cash assistance, and that in itself is a coup, as I've found they'd rather not help you than help you.

I've lost my train of thought now, and so I'll end this post here. I know I'll have to write more about the hospitalization at some point, but I think it'll come in fits and starts. My writing is shoddy at best these days, but I am writing, and that consoles me. Still, as I start feeling better and better, I worry about the day when I'll have to retake a useful position in society. And a fear flutters somewhere near my heart, and my stomach clenches to think about it. So not quite yet. Not quite yet. But maybe soon. Sooner than I'm ready for. I can't help but think: What if I can't hack it? What if the anxiety, the IBS, the stomach pain, the depression all come back? I know I'll be nearly manic the first few months: overworking, proving myself, charismatic among the other employees, perfectly charming with the customers. But then there'll come that fall, like a fall from grace, and I don't know how many more times I can handle that.

It reminds me of the Yeats poem, "The Second Coming":

Things fall apart; the center cannot hold

It's lines like that my brain seizes on, repeating them like a morbid mantra, over and over: things fall apart; the center cannot hold; things fall apart; the center cannot hold; things fall apart; the center cannot hold; I fall apart; I cannot hold.

0 comments: