Monday, May 19, 2008

12:17 p.m. Missed Appt. & List of Symptoms

Dammit, I've forgotten my psych appointment. I had to call them to find out because I couldn't find my appointment card among the trash, the bills, the folders of county info and medical info.

The receptionist sounds vaguely amused when she tells me I missed it; it was earlier today. I'm vaguely annoyed and feel as if she's patpat'd me via phone. They have a cancellation for later today, though, so I'll be going at 5:15 p.m. I call Jb to tell him this, to tell him I might not be home by the time he is, so, "Don't worry! Just at the psych's!" He suggests that maybe we should start writing down my appointments, like on a whiteboard that we post on the bathroom door, a cheap one with cheap markers -- since that's really all we can afford. I feel like a child now, who's been talked to like a child, and shamed into looking at her feet as she digs a toe into the ground.

Feeling child-like, and pissed at myself for what I see as continued incompetence, I tell myself I will look at my blog. I will write down the points I would like to discuss with my psych. Better yet, I'll write them down now! Here is what I will tell my psych:

  • I'm am so forgetful I forget appointments and lock myself out of my apartment regularly.
  • I would lick sugar off the floor if it spilled. I think this is a Remeron side effect.
  • I sleep until 10 p.m., then again at 2 p.m., then again at 11 p.m.
  • Sometimes, I cannot sleep because I talk to myself all night long.
  • When I am not asleep, I run a constant dialogue with myself in my head.
  • I obsess over lyrics, poems, my diagnosis.
  • Everything seems dirty to me. I can't touch or eat off certain things until they're clean.
  • I screen my calls and avoid people.
  • I still don't shower for days. My personal hygiene is definitely lacking.
  • I'm writing some, but it's all crap, and I've only begun to read very little bits.
  • My dreams are especially vivid, but often forgotten, except in the morning.
  • I am feeling somewhat better. The peaks and valleys are less extreme, but the rotation seems quicker, and it's exhausting trying to keep up.
  • I saw something the other day that probably wasn't there.
This is what I would ask my psych:
  • Is Lamictal really supposed to be used as a mood stabilizer?I read that a study from the APA said that it didn't work any better as a mood stabilizer than placebos did.
  • Is there something we can try besides Remeron? Something weight neutral that doesn't make me feel like a junky without the benefit of a high?
  • Am I really bipolar? Because I'm not sure I am. Shouldn't I be cycling less if I am? And if I'm not, what the hell is this? Because I'd feel so much better if I could label it. If I could hold it in my hands and work around a definition.
  • And what about work? It's been 3 months. But I still feel too unstable, like if I tried to find another job now, it'd be a month, maybe more, before I'd be hey-ho! for the hospital again. Should I go for disability and will you support me?
I think that's all. I know I have forgotten something. I'm always forgetting something. I just worry it's not a big something. I'd rather it be a small something, like how I've forgotten which bus to take to the hospital to see my psych doctor, though I rode that bus everyday for nearly two weeks. And why is it that I can't get my mind to stop, and yet, I can't get it to function either?

Oh! I did forget. I will take a list of my meds! A list. Not my white bag. The white bag will stay home. I will take white paper instead. Because white paper is more normal. (Only the labels for my posts -- "dosage" -- reminded me that, yes, I'm going to the psych doctor to check the dosage of my meds. How clever. After all, that's what psych doctors are for, yes.)

0 comments: