Friday, June 20, 2008

8:08 a.m. Med Check

I took my meds. I didn't yesterday. The IBS has been on flare-up all week; that's five days now. I read an article that described the link between IBS and depression. It comes down to a scenario of what comes first, the chicken or the egg? Most gastro doctors, including my own, consider IBS to be linked to mental health problems (i.e. depression causes IBS, so if the depression is treated, IBS should go away). However, it's easily argued that having IBS in the first place can make a person depressed. I can attest to this. It certainly does not make it easier or make you feel better about yourself. There is even some possibility, apparently, that IBS and mental health share a genetic link. A Mayo Clinic study show that people with IBS also tended to have a family history of alcoholism and mental illness. Since IBS, alcoholism, and mental illness share a genetic link, if a person isn't an alcoholic, there's a good chance they'll have IBS instead. Both alcoholism and mental illness run in my family, which, I suppose makes me a shoe-in for IBS since I'm not an alcoholic.

0 comments: